Friday, June 10, 2011

Super 8

I read an article today that I was going to write about, but it's going to take a little time to put together, so instead of that, I'll give a little review of the new Spielberg/Abrams movie Super 8. I'll approach this from a writer's perspective - like I could look at it any other way.

First, go to the restroom and buy your treats before going in - you won't want to leave. There is no lull, no down time, nothing boring. There are even a couple of those moments that made me jump.

All in all it was fun and entertaining - I liked the group of misfit kids, and at my age, the small town setting and time (70s) were familiar. I thought it was well acted, though it had a little bit of that cheesy effect - which I think was on purpose. By that, I mean, it kind of had the same feel as E.T. or Goonies, although the special effects were better.

Drawbacks - with a PG-13 rating, it does have quite a bit of language (from the kids) and one very clear F-word from the token druggie. Although there is a brief scene of illegal drug use, the result is that the kids proclaim how bad drugs are.

We don't go to many movies, but husband, son and I all enjoyed it. Make sure you stay after the final scene though - some of the best footage is during the credits. (And get there early enough to catch the Harry Potter preview!)

I decided now that I'm in the habit of writing this blog each day (which is part of my promise to myself), I need to start reporting what writing I do on that day. This will be my way of keeping track, and encouraging myself.


I'm signed up for a WOW (week of writing) starting on Monday with my ANWA group. I've committed to 2000 words each day. I always like these weeks - I get lots done. Today, I worked on more moving some scenes around in Kelli's Promise. It's almost to the point that I think I'll be happy with it. So glad tomorrow is Saturday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment